Being a locksmith in Bergen County, NJ isn’t just about getting doors unlocked or helping people to get back into their own homes—it’s also about helping homeowners protect themselves with the right lock products and informing people about the dangers of inferior locks. After all, for every lock that’s keeping someone safe, there’s a lock out there that’s not!
Just because you have a lock on your door doesn’t automatically keep you safe from break-ins and other instances of home intrusion. In fact, an inferior lock isn’t going to pose much of a threat for burglars at all! You need to have locks in place that not only deter break-ins, but those that can stand up to any attempt as well.
The harsh truth
Break-ins can happen to anyone at any time. It’s not about predicting a break-in, it’s about preventing them. Take a look at some facts that are sad, but true when it comes to home invasions and burglaries:
- In more than 85 percent of all break-ins, burglars enter through a door. This makes having a sturdy lock and deadbolt essential.
- It can take only seconds for a burglar to kick in a door that’s not appropriately protected by a lock and deadbolt.
- A home that is broken into is approximately four times more likely to be hit again, even if locks are upgraded and replaced.
What does this tell us about protecting our homes? From the point of view of a locksmith in Bergen County, NJ, it means that proactive prevention is the key. Having solid locks and secure deadbolts is a necessity, along with sturdy placement of both locking mechanisms.
Get into good habits
When it comes to protecting your home from an intrusion, there’s only so much you can do, but even these simple things will help if you’re targeted for a burglary:
- Check your locks before you leave. This means the knob lock and deadbolt on all doors.
- Don’t leave spare keys outside. If a thief knows you’re not home, they may be tempted to look for a spare key if they can’t force the lock on your door.
- Don’t advertise your home by leaving valuable items on display—this will only encourage a burglar to take more invasive means to entering your home.
Above all else, keep track of your keys! You’d be amazed at how often people lose keys or leave them laying around, only to have them picked up by someone with bad intentions. If you lose your key, call a locksmith in Bergen County, NJ immediately for a re key, so that you can continue to take solace in the locks protecting your home.
Keep an eye out
If your neighborhood has been a targeted area for break-ins, make sure that you’re taking the right steps to protecting your home. Don’t wait to become a target yourself—speak with a professional locksmith about the steps you could be taking to remain safe and secure in your home.